Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 12: Mama Harriet, Shopping, & Watoto Church

The morning of Day 12, we woke up to rain and a relaxing morning at the Apricot Guest House. We were able to catch up on some much needed rest which was very needed! And we had a delicious breakfast of banana pancakes topped with Nutella, mango and African coffee (I actually had hot chocolate thanks to Andrea who brought a packet from home - she thought of everything!)...


Later that afternoon, we drove to the Alirikos Guest House (also known as Herb and Ellen's) where our family stayed two years ago when we were adopting our son, Asher. While there, we got to know the head cook, Harriet Ssanyu. I learned that she was not only a chef but also a very talented jewelry artist and tailor. She makes things in her spare time and sells them on the side to raise money to send her kids to school. I thought if I took some of her things back with me that I could try to sell them in the States for her and hopefully she could make a little more money. So when I got back home, I began a facebook page called "Harriet's Bead Creations". I've been selling her items for two years now and thanks to those who have been purchasing her items, we've been able to help send her kids to school, including Christine who attends college.

So during our "Mommas on a Mission" trip to Uganda, I thought it would be fun if we hooked up with Harriet so I could see her and catch up with how she was doing and so my friends could meet her, as well. We had a great time learning how to make chapati (one of our favorite Ugandan foods!)...





Then we enjoyed the delicious lunch that Harriet prepared for us and the guests staying at Alirikos...



After we ate, I got to visit with some of the adoptive families staying at the home. I think they were encouraged by the fact that our family actually wanted to adopt again and while the adoption process is so very hard, it's also so very worth it. I also got to meet a sweet family staying there that I had been in touch with for several months before that had adoption questions. It was so neat to meet them in person and to meet the precious little girl they were adopting. I was also so encouraged to hear that they got to go home a few weeks after we met. So there is light at the end of the adoption tunnel for most! Just have to be persistent and stay the course and totally rely on God for strength.

After doing some shopping from Harriet's "treasures", we said our see ya laters...




then went for more shopping at one of my favorite craft markets in Kampala, "National Theatre". Here's a few sites we saw along the way...

Look how close they drive to each other!!! This truck is inches from our van! Yikes!

Lots and lots of bodas!

Check out their scaffolding! They build it as they go!

So many great finds - we could shop there all day!




After shopping, we went to church at Watoto Church. They have such an amazing praise and worship time...




By the time the service was over, we were ready to eat - and eat we did! We had AmAzInG pizza at Caffe Roma, a popular pizzeria not far from our guest house. In fact, we could have walked there but the electricity was out so fortunately, the manager of Apricot offered to take us. Lots of laughs and good food - the perfect ending to a wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment